Sunday, August 1, 2010

What must I do to be saved?

That's such a great question. It's found several times in several ways or forms in the Bible (Acts 2:37-38; 16:30; John 6:28; Luke 18:18). The answer given could be condensed to "repent and believe the gospel" especially when you link it to Jesus' message, "The time is fulfilled, the kingdom of God is at hand. Repent and believe the gospel" (Mark 1:14-15). Not "pray this prayer," "check this box" or "walk this aisle," but "repent and believe the gospel."

If that's the answer, then its pretty important to have a good understanding of what that means. So here are my thoughts from the scriptures. Tell me what you think.

Repent ~ Repentance means to "change your mind" or "turn around." This command is always given in relationship to our sinful course in life. Before we are converted (born again by God) we have a course in life that's in rebellion to God. Unless we "change our mind" or "turn away/around" (this is repentance) from this course, the Bible says we will perish. Repentance is called a "gift of God" (Acts 11:18; 2 Tim. 2:25) and achieving is a result of his "kindness" (Rom. 2:4). No this for certain: no repentance means no salvation (Acts 2:38).

When God causes us to be born again, we'll see sin the way he sees sin. Not as some petty offense, but as a capital crime against the holiness of God. The New Birth will cause a person to be horrified of our sin. If in your evangelism a person feels ambivalent and even unconcerned with their sin, that's a good indication they haven't been born again. On the contrary, if the burden of their sin weighs upon their conscious, that's a great indication that God is opening their eyes.

Belief ~ The words "believe," "faith" and "trust" are all the same Greek word in the NT. So when John 3:16 says, "whoever believes him will not perish, but have eternal life" you could substitute the words "faith" or "trust" for "believe" if you like. Why is that important? The word "believe" in particular can have a very passive aspect relegated only to the life of the mind. So we hear the command "believe in Jesus" and liken it to "I believe 2+2=4." That kind of belief has little bearing on a person's life.

But "having faith" or better yet, "trusting," has a much more active and urgent feel to 21st century Americans. You don't just "trust" anybody, especially with your life. We "trust" the pizza man to deliver our pizza, but we don't trust him with our kids, family heirlooms or boats. Jesus says, "give me everything. Trust me with your present and eternal life." Many Americans "believe" in God (like they believe 2+2=4), but trust in God with my bank account, with my family; with my soul? NO WAY! We need to make this distinction. So when we are in conversations with people and they say, "I believe in God," we need to come back and say, "Yeah, but you don't believe in God enough to follow his word. To do what he says." Maybe your friend is cheating on her husband. "You don't believe in God enough to repent of the sin of adultery. So you really don't believe in God."

Also, repenting and believing is simply the same activity from different perspectives. Repenting is turning away from sin; believing is turning to Jesus. The same act from different vantage points. So another way we can help someone understand what it means to "believe" is linking it to repentance. If someone refuses to repent of sin, they are also refusing to trust in Jesus.

The Gospel ~ "Gospel" literally means "good news;" the "good news" is the message of Jesus Christ. There are several different ways we can make reference to this good news. The first way is in reference to its "content" and "historical facts" of the message. What are some of those?
  • Before God works in our lives, we are dead sinners; enemies of God destined for his wrath. God is completely just and right to punish us of our sins.
  • God sent his son, Jesus, to be the atoning sacrifice for our sins. He is God in the flesh; he lived the perfect life God accepts and sacrificed himself on the cross for our sins. In that sacrifice, God the Father poured out his wrath on Jesus as Jesus bore the weight and penalty of our sin.
  • 3 days after his crucifixion, he was raised from the dead and lives today as the only true king of Kings and lord of Lords. He alone is worthy of all worship praise.
A great passage detailing the "content" of the gospel is 1 Cor. 15:1-11.

Another way to talk about the gospel concerns its "effect." What did Jesus accomplish. Paul says in Romans 1:16, "For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it [the gospel] is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes." Also, he says in 1 Cor. 1:18, "For the word of the cross [that's the gospel] is folly to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God." So the gospel isn't just the "content" or "facts," the gospel is also the "power of God."

So, when we charge some to "believe (trust) in the gospel," we're not just say, "trust the facts," we are also saying, "believe/have faith in the power of God in this message."

I'd love to hear your thoughts both on this and the message given today. What's helpful? Also, where do you still feel a little anxious about telling others about God? Let's help each other.

Blessings,
Pastor Brian

4 comments:

John Strama said...

Brain,

From my personal understanding of the Bible, and my personal experience, you are exactly correct in this blog and the whole series you are preaching on. I know I always said I believed in God and His word. However, I know I did not fully follow and repent of my personal sins to the fullest extent. I let "the world" convince me that I "did enough" in the area of repenteance. I justified my sins by saying, well am "trying", but I never really gave everything over to God. I used the concept that I'm not as bad as that person, or everyone has faults and sins, so I must be ok. I wasn't and until with God's help, His word and your guideance and a lot of prayer, I finally repented of all my sins and am truly trying to follow God's word in all areas of my life. I think many of us who claim to be Christians fool ourselves in thinking we are "ok" with God, when we really are not. I know now that I was hiding things from myself and others and until God convicted me of all my sins I was lying to myself, God and everyone else. I truly feel liberated by being honest with God and myself about some of my "hidden" and not so hidden sins. I wholly agree that unless we read His word daily, pray, and truly open ourselves to God, most of us fall short of doing what God tells us to do.

Thanks for all your Biblical encouragement, and hopefully my stuggles help someone else to see theirs fully.

Anonymous said...

I have no issues with the truth of this message. To respond to your question, “where do you still feel a little anxious about telling others about God?” To preface my answer, I typically highlight the fact of God’s sovereign over all creation which includes me. I believe this is critical to establish up front and in any future conversations.
If God chooses, why should I try? When I think through this in individual meditation I can easily say to myself that because I trust that God is who he says he is and therefore, even if I am not chosen, he is still worthy of my praise and obedience (Worship). –try explaining that to a non-believer

Sam said...

You said that the words "believe," "faith" and "trust" are all the same Greek word in the NT. Are you saying that is true of the whole NT? Surely the words are not interchangeable when James is referring to the belief that demons have in God?

First Baptist Church said...

Hey Sam,

You make a great observation. The Greek word "pistis" is the word for "faith," "belief" and "trust" (or "entrust"). In fact, in John 2 when many people began "believing" in Jesus (vs. 23), vs. 24 tells us that Jesus did not "entrust" himself to them. It's the exact same word... pistis.

So how are we to include the demons "pistis" in James 2:19, yet they are not saved? Just as in our language, there is a semantic range of meanings for any given word. For some words, its very large. For example, the greek word "logos" has a huge range. It can be used as "words" "speeches" "conversation" even "reason" and "logic." Other words have a narrow range.

So when I read that demons have "pistis," I have say "how can they have pistis, but yet not be saved?" Apparently, there's either a kind of pistis that doesn't save (just like there's a kind of "belief" that doesn't save... mental assent) or the word "pistis" doesn't capture the complete essence of one's saving faith... maybe repentance.

Good thinking. Tell me your thoughts.

Brian