Sunday, July 4, 2010

The insides of a born again Christian

Throughout our New Birth sermon, we are going to make specific references to the difference the New Birth makes in a person. What do those "born again" love? What do they desire? What do they do? How do they live? What do they do when they sin?

I'm using my imagination here, but what would a born again Christian's insides look like if you opened them up? That's what we talked about on Sunday. This is what you'd see:

1. You would find them completely washed clean from the stain of their sin. According to Titus 3:3-5, the New Birth washes us. Not only are we forgiven of our sins, but we are even scrubbed clean from the stain of our sin.

2. You would find a new heart, per the promise of God in Eze. 36 (among others). People born again don't operate with the cold, dead heart they've always had. They are given a new one.

3. You would find a new resident in a person's heart, the Holy Spirit. God said, "I will put my Spirit within you" in Eze. 36. In the NT, we saw how the Holy Spirit was poured into the hearts of those God was converting.

God makes us alive to him and dead to sin by cleansing us, giving us a new heart and pouring his Spirit within us.

I'd love to hear your thoughts and feedback.

Blessings,
Pastor Brian

1 comment:

Tawnya said...

I am holding fast to the truth that God is the One doing the work in me. Whew. So incredibly thankful because I am so aware of my nature to sin these days and can't for the life of me muster up my OWN will and stamina to be glorifying to Him. Praise God for His Spirit and I am so, so thankful for God's promise in Ezekial - what could be better?!

Thanks so much Brian for your commitement to God's Word, especially in a culture where the truth is not popular, doesn't give us warm fuzzies, and often cuts to the core (and should). We need to be cut, so that we can be healed! Preach on!